Thursday, April 15, 2010

DAY TWENTY

Dad fed me some milk today at lunch time and mom got to feed me at dinner. I don't get to taste the milk yet, right now it goes into a feeding tube directly to my stomach. The nurses call it priming my gut, what they are attempting to do is "wake" my stomach up and teach it what to do with small amounts of milk. Things are going well, but the nurses are still monitoring my recovery from surgery. Right now the doctor is trying to wean me off of the sedation medicine and see how I handle it. I'm doing OK, but I'm still not really liking when people handle me too much! Overall, I continue to hold my own and take small baby steps in the right direction. My lungs, as you know are not fully developed so there is still some fluid in them that I need to get rid of, the nurses work on this by positioning me on my sides or on my tummy at different times of the day because always being on my back is not good. They also vibrate my chest to "loosen" the fluid so that my body can then get rid of it. Baby steps, all in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment