Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DAY THIRTEEN


Mom and Dad came to see me this morning at 8:00 a.m. and a nurse they had never met before had to break the news to them that I got a burn on my foot. Last night a vein that had an IV in it collapsed and the medicine that was suppose to go in my vein pooled underneath the skin on my left foot and caused it to blister and burn. Let me tell you, Mom and Dad were upset, I even think they cried a little! After the situation with my boo boo, my day did not go well, I had trouble breathing all day and they had to keep uping the settings on my ventilator. About 6:00 p.m. Mom called up to the hospital to check on me before going to church and the nurse said that the lower lobe of my right lung had collapsed. WOW, talk about the tears then! Mom and Dad left church early to come visit me and when they asked about my collapsed lung, the nurse practitioner said "his lung did not collapse, he had what we call a 'white out.'" The nurse practioner then explained that I have so much fluid in my lungs that my alveoli or air sacs got weighed down and and were not working like they should and on an x-ray the area looks white or hazy. When Mom and Dad left they felt much better about how I was doing!

2 comments:

  1. We met at Zachary's Bday party in February and since then, Kristin has been keeping me updated. She did tell me about Thursday and I'm waiting to read your blog update, but I wanted to tell you that you, Ben and of course Baby Max are in my thoughts and prayers every single day..

    (Kristin's mom) Karen

    ReplyDelete