Tuesday, April 27, 2010

DAY THIRTY-TWO


The doctor upped my amount of milk from 10cc to 12cc. The morning started off well for me, I finished my steroids and was feeling good! My ventilator settings were being lowered and the doctor talked about taking out the breathing tube and taking me off the ventilator. Then as the day wore on I was having trouble breathing due to secretions in my lungs, mouth and breathing tube. Secretions are a good thing, they indicate that my lungs are maturing and that I am attempting to get rid of the excess fluid, much like a grown-up with a cough. Secretions can be bad because I cannot regulate my own breathing as well and need increased support from the ventilator. In addition, I was having such trouble that the nurse had to "bag" me twice. This sounds drastic, but this is all a part of the roller coaster ride that preemies take before they go home. Mom and Dad have a love/hate relationship with the ventilator because they understand that it helps me, but at the same time they look forward to the day that I am not as dependent on it. REMEMBER, when I get rid of this ventilator, Mom and Dad can hold me again. Please continue to pray that I gain strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment